Saturday, September 20, 2014

Poems About Life - Real or Not


“Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.” ― Lauren Bacall


Often poets write about what's around them and their own lives, I've even read a few Poetic Memoirs. Sometimes it's nice to go off into fairy land or write what I like to call fictional story poems. That's actually the type of poem (Beauty Denied) that brought me back to writing poetry again after so many years.

Image created by Morgan Dragonwillow


I have written quite a few poems since then and most of them are poems about life, my life and what I see around me. But there are a few (some even my favorites) that are written as a story - short but still a story. Such is my poem Lipstick. I actually pulled this word out of the dictionary with the intent of writing an acrostic poem and almost picked another word. I came up with this instead. I'm glad I let my imagination come out to play.

Lying between the sheets, she slowly smiles.
Images running through her mind of the night before.
Perfume blends with muskier scents lingering in the air.
Silence is broken as the trash truck rumbles down the street.
Tissue paper flutters by the open window.
Ideas floating through her mind of how she’d prefer to spend her day.
Café down the street sounds like a wonderful start.
Knocking at the door, she turns and sees someone’s lipstick on the floor.

What type of poetry do you tend to write? Do you tend to stick with poems about your life or do you enjoy creating fictional stories with your poetry?

A Few of My Favorite Poetry Tips from OctPoWriMo 2012:




Count Down: 10 Days until OctPoWriMo!

Time is going by quickly, are you ready for this poetry challenge, will you be sharing your poetry on your blog? Make sure you if you are on Twitter that you share your poem posts with the hashtag #OctPoWriMo so that other participants can find you. You can also share and chat with us on Facebook in our Writing Poetry Group.



Morgan Dragonwillow: Rebel dancing with words, intuitive cook, recovering perfectionist, poet & author that (mostly) doesn't let her fears get in the way of her passion for writing and creating. She is team leader at @StoryDam, creatrix of #OctPoWriMo, and you can find her at, A Poet's Kitchen, cooking up simply delicious meals. She lives in Marietta, Ga. with her loving and patient partner, their dog that thinks she's a princess, and the cat that reminds her that she isn't.
You can find her on Google+

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you sign up to receive our updates, tips and prompts to share in the poetry adventure!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a fictional poem yesterday.... a confessional style poem by someone who only exists in my mind. I always seem to glean some new insights when I write such poems. They aren't my first choice, but usually they are so insistent I write them I know there is value in them.

    Lately I've been writing a lot of break up poems, so writing something different (in someone else's voice) felt really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie, I agree, they aren't my first choice either but I tend to enjoy them when I feel called to write one. Often times it is just something that pushes to the front and insists on being written.

    Glad you could be distracted by something different for a bit. Hope you have a good week. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete