Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Writing Poetry Day 23 - Double Challenge

I have a double poetry challenge for you today. You have possibly been writing poetry for the last 22 days, maybe longer. The first challenge is, I want you to take your favorite, absolute favorite poem that you have written, and record yourself reading it. If you have the capability I challenge you to video record it. And then take that recording and post it on your page. Hopefully we will all be able to figure out how to do that.

Yes the thought may be scary for some. It is a little scary for me that is why I am challenging you because I am challenging myself in the process. I am pushing myself to actually have this done before you read this. I have recorded my voice reading a poem recently but I haven't really shared it except with one person. I know Julie has. I know she performs her poems. This won't be new for her. But for some of the rest of us, this could be quite a challenge. Are you up for it?

Below you will find TED talks Rives Mockingbird 2006. I love how he performs and he is the one that inspired this prompt and challenge. I hope he inspires you as well.


Poetry Prompt: I believe challenge is going to be the word for the day. How does your body feel when you challenge yourself to do something new and/or different? Write for five to ten minutes about your physical reactions to being challenged, to challenging yourself to take a risk. Do your palms begin to sweat? Dive in and come up with new ways of saying what your body and mind are going through before, during and after a challenge.

Word Prompt: Challenge

Sentence Starters:

When I see a challenge before me...

The moment has arrived...

We have eight days left in this wild ride of 31 Poems in 31 Days. Be kind to yourself if you haven't written everyday, I am. Tell us, Julie and I, what you have learned so far on this poetry journey in the comments below.

Come back after you have recorded your poem and created your next post to link up and share with us. Visit the link before and after yours to share word love of encouragement and support for the other poets in their comments.

Peace to you,
Morgan




Thank you for sharing and recommending before you leave.

9 comments:

  1. I don't have the techy ability to respond to the first part of the challenge. The second part - what else have I been doing ever since I started writing poetry? Every poem is a challenge: to make it as good as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viv, it isn't about making them as good as you can. It is about how your body and mind react to a challenge. You are always free to write whatever you feel inspired to write. If you are unable to do any part of a prompt it is always more than okay. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not be recording a video of myself with my band-aid and still healing scar. I have a performance this Thursday which I am dreading... if I can figure out an audio recording option, I will do that. So interesting to feel where this landed when I saw it. A lot of anger bubbled up for me. As my dear Emma says, it is all a part of the process. Maybe I should challenge myself to write an angry poem. I don't usually do so, choosing (much of the time) to be either a neutral observer or positive. I would be happy to share some YouTube video of me if y'all want to see me, though. I have some singing, some me talking about life, some performance.... lol... family video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be triggering people today. I can tell you that wasn't my intent. As always you or anyone else can choose to do prompt or not. I don't always do the prompts. This challenge was about me and telling myself at the beginning of it that I was going to push myself to do an audio and at some point a video. This was a way to push me to do that.

      I have heard a couple of others mention that they might like to record themselves and this was also for them and anyone else that wanted to do this. As always, no one has to do anything that they don't want to do.

      I'm sorry this upset you. As I mentioned I knew this was something you have done already but most of us haven't. The challenge was for those that hadn't. It would be wonderful if you chose to share one of your audio or video recordings from the past. I know I would love to see it. Peace to you.

      Delete
  4. I really felt my fifteenth poem fit in here instead of day 15. I will probably video tape it later. Feeling too raw at the moment. Love and Peace to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I've recorded myself reading poetry, though I used to read them aloud in performance type settings. This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learned I can play catch-up quite well ;) Learned that the hosts are two beautiful souls, who have the patience to take my sense of humor :D Learned I can bring out a lot of myself in free verse, and when the prompts are such challenging in itself. It's been a fun 24 days (I'm still a poem behind).

    Morgan, can you please remove the link #2, its an incorrect one for this prompt :)

    I don't have a webcam, so no video along with my entry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leo. I'm so glad you are getting so much out of this Poetry Month challenge. I have removed the link. No worries about the webcam. Can't believe we are already in the last week. Peace to you.

      Delete