Tuesday, October 2, 2012

OctPoWriMo Day 2/31 - Word-Love and Poetry, YES YOU CAN!



“Poets, if they're genuine, must keep repeating "I don't know."”
Wislawa Szymborska

“I have never written a book that was not born out of a question I needed to answer for myself.”
 May Sarton

Some people may have wanted to participate in OctPoWriMo, but they were overly concerned about two things: not being able to complete the 31 poems in 31 days because they don’t have time OR possibly not participating because they didn’t “have a plan” or “know what to write.”

These two talented poets above, May Sarton and Wislawa Symborska,  offer their collective wisdom while doing a cheerleading routine in my head. “Word-love & Poetry, Yes You Can!” over and over.

The water we swim in - otherwise known as the world all around us - tends to honor and revere experts, not beginners. To be an effective poet is to be a beginner everyday. To be an effective poet we must repeat Szymborska’s “I don’t know!” and asking Sarton’s questions that need to be answered, not questions we know the tried  and true ‘fill in the bubble marked “C” ' with your number two pencil.

“Word-love & Poetry, Yes You Can!”

I believe the answer to the question, hopefully looking to hear a response is simple: “Word-love & Poetry, Yes I Can!” Say it again with me:

“Word-love & Poetry, Yes I Can!”

Doesn’t that feel much better?

Poetry Prompt: Take a moment to jot a list some questions you have been asking yourself lately or the people around you have been asking about you.  Don’t think too much, just write them on the page. After jotting on paper, tear the paper into strips and put into a mug or a pile on your paper and draw a question.

Word Prompt: Question

Sentence Starter: The question I most want to answer tells me...

(0r)

The question I don't want you to ask makes me feel.... 

NOW, let’s write some poetry.

Perhaps pick one of your questions and allow it to shape today’s poem. 

Put those cheerleaders chanting “Word-love & Poetry, Yes You Can!” behind your keyboard or notebook and watch the words flow.

OR if you aren’t in the mood for this prompt, go back and check out one of our TIPS from September  OR absolutely ANYTHING your heart desires and simply write to that!

We have added a daily linky here, so you may add your daily poem link here and we may all keep up with one another more easily.


Links:




Below is Wislawa Szymborska - Beside is May Sarton








Thank you for sharing and recommending to others before you leave.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning. Thought you'd want to know that Mr. Linky is not working as of 7:35 am west coast time. Nice prompt for today. I'll check back later.Hi from Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is back to working. I have noticed it being down a couple of times. Hopefully they will fix whatever is broken and it will stay up from here on out. I apologize for the inconvenience.

      Thanks for stopping by Beth, hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Love the question idea. I didn't do that for my poem today, but I will. Hmmm. I looked around on today's email, but I couldn't even see Mr. Linky.
    Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duh. Now I see it on THIS page. Sorry; head in the clouds -- or somewhere below. xoA

      Delete
  3. May I post my #OctPoWriMo Day 2 #PlayingCatchUp link here?

    http://poetatete.blogspot.com/2012/11/its-not-about-questions-octpowrimo-day-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course! Glad to hear you're using the prompts!

      Delete